1. Get an adult's permission before you go out on the water.
2. Always swim or play by the water with a buddy.
3. Never go out in a boat alone. Make sure there is a responsible adult or older student in the boat with you.
4. Wear a life jacket whenever you are in a boat or canoe.
5. Make sure you know how to swim.
6. Never dive into a lake or pond. There might be rocks or logs or other sharp things under the water waiting to bonk you on the head.
7. Be aware of any poisonous animals that might live in a lake or a pond, and know how to identify them.
8. Watch out for slippery rocks. They don't make good stepping stones.
9. Get off the water if you see lightning or hear thunder.